Taking it a little off topic tonight, as I was thinking about what we would need from the grocery for this week’s meals I thought there may be others out there, like me, who are in search of the perfect gluten free meals. I am allergic to wheat, so by default our house is essentially 100% gluten free. A few weeks ago I decided to tackle not only making a gluten free pizza, but making it with a cauliflower crust – shocking I know. Pizza was one of my absolute favorite foods before I found out about my wheat allergy. The gluten free crusts just really don’t taste the same, no matter how hard you try to alter the recipes. Needless to say, I had very low expectations for the cauliflower crust. But, what did we have to lose? It turned out great! Below I have included the recipe for those of you who are in search of some new gluten free items. You can switch up the toppings as well!
1 2/3 cups cooked (shredded) cauliflower
1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp rosemary
1-2 sausages (I would use Trader Joe’s)
1/2 jar Classico Pizza sauce, although you can also make your own pretty easily
Goat Cheese – however much you would like on the top of your pizza
2 cups spinach
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1. Remove the stems and leaves from the head of cauliflower. Chop the florets into chunks. If you have a food processor you can rice the cauliflower using your food processor (do not over pulse though because you do not want to puree the cauliflower). If, like me, you do not have a food processor, you can use a cheese grater to grate the cauliflower.
2. Put the grated cauliflower into the microwave for approximately 8 minutes. Do not add water.
3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray pizza pan with non-stick spray.
4. Stir together the cooked cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Once stirred, add in the spices and stir.
5. Spread the crust mixture onto the greased pizza pan and cook at 450 for 15 minutes.
6. Remove pizza crust from oven and add all toppings.
7. For our toppings, I pre-cooked the onion, mushroom, spinach and sausage on the stove. I spread the pizza sauce on the crust, added the pre-cooked onion, mushroom, spinach and sausage then added the goat cheese.
8. Place pizza back in the over for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until your cheese has melted to your liking.
I know this recipe sounds strange and the fact that the crust is cauliflower might turn you away, but I promise it is delicious! Just give it a try!!!